Monday 27 January 2014

Predictions for 2024


A few months ago, as a result of making disparaging comments about Isaac
Asimov's predictions in 1964 for 2014, someone asked me to make predictions for
2024. 









I think making predictions is extraordinarily difficult. And
I don't have the knowledge to attempt such a thing. However I decided not to be
boring and gave it a crack anyway. This is what I said:
 








2024? Well I'll predict everything will be more or less the
same.





OK google glasses will have limited success when they are
first launched. But later models will become more and more popular as all the
issues are ironed out. It'll be like the history of mobile phones (cell
phones). At first very few people will have them, but eventually they became
all pervasive.





People will not make a one way trip to Mars in April 2023 to
live the rest of their lives there! I just can't see that happening, at least
not by that time.





Smart watches will find a market, but they will never become
that popular. They're too small and people will prefer their smartphones.





Much less stress will be placed on the notion that saturated
fats are a great evil. It will be increasingly recognised by 2024 that it is
sugar and refined carbs, rather than dietary fat and lack of exercise, which is
largely responsible for rising obesity rates and ill-health.




Yeah not very startling exciting predictions.  But I'm trying to be realistic.  I think I may have been proven to be correct with the Mars trip already since the last time I heard a year mentioned it was 2025!  But, regardless, I cannot imagine it happening before 2040, and I doubt that a one way trip will ever happen -- or at least not until Mars is terraformed!

No comments:

Post a Comment